One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A salt or ester of phthalic acid.
- ‘Common plastic additives such as phthalates or metal salts can also thwart recycling efforts as can too high a ratio of colored bottles (such as Dasani's blue containers) to clear bottles.’
- ‘The group also warns consumers about toys that pose toxic hazards and urges manufacturers to voluntarily disclose whether toys contain phthalates or polyvinyl chloride.’
- ‘They do, however, acknowledge that phthalates commonly leach from PVC plastics.’
- ‘Some common chemicals found in nail salons are toluene, formaldehyde and a group of chemical compounds called phthalates.’
- ‘In contact with foods, especially hot, fatty foods, PVC can also leach chemicals such as adipates and phthalates, shown in mice to cause birth defects and damage to the liver and kidneys.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.