One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an organism) obtaining energy from sunlight to synthesize organic compounds for nutrition.
- ‘Synthesis of the full spectrum of flavour precursors may resume if the callus is allowed to redifferentiate or regain a capacity for phototrophic metabolism.’
- ‘Overall, the results stress the importance of both heterotrophic and phototrophic metabolisms when considering environmental controls on the structure of bacterial communities in the sea.’
- ‘We have argued that more than the alga's, it is the host's metabolism that has had to adjust to the conditions of phototrophic endosymbiosis.’
- ‘The high nutrient demands of microbial degradation imply furthermore a competition for nutrients between heterotrophic degradative and phototrophic productive processes.’
- ‘By contrast, no linkage was detected in crosses with the five class II mutant strains since phototrophic recombinants were recovered at high frequency.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.