Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The process by which green plants and some other organisms use sunlight to synthesize nutrients from carbon dioxide and water. Photosynthesis in plants generally involves the green pigment chlorophyll and generates oxygen as a by-product.
- ‘Anthocyanins are water soluble pigments but are not involved in photosynthesis.’
- ‘Their job is to absorb the rays from the sun to begin the process known as photosynthesis.’
- ‘These results are consistent with the previous report that water stress inhibits photosynthesis.’
- ‘Many forms are capable of photosynthesis and hence resemble plants in the way that they obtain energy.’
- ‘Drought reduces productivity by inhibiting plant growth and photosynthesis.’
- ‘Possible use of serine derived directly from photosynthesis was ignored in this analysis.’
- ‘It has long been known that magnesium availability to plants imposes limits on photosynthesis.’
- ‘These populations do not have the ability to utilize exogenous bicarbonate for the process of photosynthesis.’
- ‘In addition, rates of light-limited photosynthesis and oxygen yield are decreased in the mutants.’
- ‘Light is necessary for photosynthesis in plants, but the supply of light in natural environments is not constant.’
- ‘Normally the proportion of the two isotopes of carbon is simply controlled by the rate of photosynthesis in plant tissues.’
- ‘This is an integrative trait, reflecting both light and dark reactions of photosynthesis.’
- ‘Carbohydrates accumulate in plants during the autumn as rates of photosynthesis begin to exceed growth.’
- ‘Stomata are involved in two of the most important plant processes, photosynthesis and transpiration.’
- ‘It is created, as we have seen, during photosynthesis, when organisms strip oxygen from water molecules.’
- ‘Carbohydrate depletion and reduced photosynthesis are the main effects of submergence on plant tissues.’
- ‘When maize encounters water deficits, there is a decline in photosynthesis per plant.’
- ‘Evidence is increasing of a new player in carbon metabolite regulation of photosynthesis.’
- ‘To avoid the production of oxygen via photosynthesis, plants were kept in the dark.’
- ‘As injury progresses, heavily damaged leaves lose their green colour and photosynthesis is much reduced.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.