Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sugar or other substance made by photosynthesis.
- ‘Photosynthesis, partitioning of photosynthates and growth need to be highly co-ordinated to allow efficient plant development and growth.’
- ‘This was accompanied by an increase of carbohydrate partitioning towards the root, especially of starch and sucrose, because photosynthates produced could not be used for growth.’
- ‘This tool was used to test the hypothesis that photosynthesis under N-limited conditions is limited by the use of photosynthates while under P-limited conditions the production of assimilates is limited.’
- ‘When the demand for photosynthates produced by the leaf under consideration is large, sugar concentration of this leaf would be low because of vigorous translocation to sink organs.’
- ‘The carbon-containing products of photosynthesis are called photosynthates.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.