Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A response of a plant or other organism to light, mediated otherwise than through photosynthesis.
- ‘In recent years, signal transduction pathways controlling photoresponses in plants has been demonstrated.’
- ‘Their photoresponse was enhanced remarkably, and they possessed higher photodynamic activity than the other derivatives.’
- ‘The larval photoresponse is thus dependent on the larval photoreceptors.’
- ‘The action spectrum for the overall photoresponse of plants, however, extends below 400 nm and beyond 700 nm, and there is a significant minimum in the green region.’
- ‘According to the hypothesis, a photoresponse such as flowering is set in motion when daylight overlaps with a part of the cycle at which the concentration of the molecule exceeds a certain threshold value.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.