Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Military reconnaissance carried out by means of aerial photography.
- ‘On the same day as the Israeli photoreconnaissance, signals intelligence intercepted an order from the Egyptian high command to break the Ramadan fast, a sure sign that something extraordinary was about to occur.’
- ‘The Fanhui Shi Weixing recoverable satellites were originally developed for photoreconnaissance but now are also used for remote sensing.’
- ‘The declassified record shows a major emphasis on planning for timely photoreconnaissance to corroborate human intelligence reports.’
- ‘However, during the air assault, many commanders learned that these teams and photoreconnaissance could only provide a partial picture of the enemy situation.’
- ‘During World War II, optical photoreconnaissance was the answer to finding and destroying military targets through optical images and bombsights - changing the way modern wars are fought and, thus, the course of history.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.