Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Military reconnaissance carried out by means of aerial photography.
- ‘However, during the air assault, many commanders learned that these teams and photoreconnaissance could only provide a partial picture of the enemy situation.’
- ‘The declassified record shows a major emphasis on planning for timely photoreconnaissance to corroborate human intelligence reports.’
- ‘The Fanhui Shi Weixing recoverable satellites were originally developed for photoreconnaissance but now are also used for remote sensing.’
- ‘During World War II, optical photoreconnaissance was the answer to finding and destroying military targets through optical images and bombsights - changing the way modern wars are fought and, thus, the course of history.’
- ‘On the same day as the Israeli photoreconnaissance, signals intelligence intercepted an order from the Egyptian high command to break the Ramadan fast, a sure sign that something extraordinary was about to occur.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.