Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A structure in a living organism, especially a sensory cell or sense organ, that responds to light falling on it.
- ‘Both Z and phototropin have been implicated as blue light photoreceptors of guard cells.’
- ‘The eight photoreceptors and 12 accessory cells occupy selfsame and stereotyped positions within each unit eye.’
- ‘Indeed, most organisms have evolved specialized photoreceptors for circadian light perception.’
- ‘All visual systems begin with photoreceptors, which are cells that respond to light energy.’
- ‘In the case of the retina and the pineal of lower vertebrates, the cells involved are direct photoreceptors.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.