One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A structure in a living organism, especially a sensory cell or sense organ, that responds to light falling on it.
- ‘All visual systems begin with photoreceptors, which are cells that respond to light energy.’
- ‘Indeed, most organisms have evolved specialized photoreceptors for circadian light perception.’
- ‘The eight photoreceptors and 12 accessory cells occupy selfsame and stereotyped positions within each unit eye.’
- ‘Both Z and phototropin have been implicated as blue light photoreceptors of guard cells.’
- ‘In the case of the retina and the pineal of lower vertebrates, the cells involved are direct photoreceptors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.