Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting vision in daylight or other bright light, believed to involve chiefly the cones of the retina.Often contrasted with scotopic
- ‘The objects being searched are relatively large, highcontrast lines that are viewed under photopic conditions.’
- ‘Mean photopic b-wave amplitudes were significantly reduced in cases compared with controls, as were mean oscillatory potential amplitudes and latencies.’
- ‘Figures 1 and 2 show scotopic and photopic amplitude values for all ERG parameters measured for each dog.’
- ‘The photopic curve is for normal vision, and the scotopic curve is for eyes that are adjusted to the dark.’
- ‘First, the .5 log unit ND reduction of luminance may have been excessive for a photopic task.’
Early 20th century: from photo- ‘light’+ -opia + -ic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.