Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The response of an organism to seasonal changes in day length.
- ‘Cryptochromes are pigmented photoreceptors that are involved in blue-light mediated photomorphogenesis and photoperiodism in plants.’
- ‘Sensitivity to the timing of light and darkness, termed photoperiodism, involves the integration of temporal information, provided by the circadian oscillator, with light/dark discrimination provided by specific photoreceptors.’
- ‘When it comes to flowering, photoperiodism is by no means the only game in town.’
- ‘Colored mulch research can be traced to historic USDA studies dating back to 1918 that led to the discovery of photoperiodism.’
- ‘The three men formed an informal team to find the substance that controls photoperiodism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.