Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The period of time each day during which an organism receives illumination; day length.
- ‘For enzymatic activities and sugar determinations, samples were collected at the middle of the photoperiod.’
- ‘Applying balancing pressure did not affect the growth of N-deprived plants except during the photoperiod of day 3 and the dark period of day 4.’
- ‘Measurements and sampling were done in the middle of the photoperiod at all sampling times.’
- ‘Canola seedlings were grown in chambers at 23°C, 50% humidity, under 16/8 h day/night photoperiods.’
- ‘The greenhouse was heated all winter and supplemental lighting extended the photoperiod to prevent dormancy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.