Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The period of time each day during which an organism receives illumination; day length.
- ‘Applying balancing pressure did not affect the growth of N-deprived plants except during the photoperiod of day 3 and the dark period of day 4.’
- ‘Measurements and sampling were done in the middle of the photoperiod at all sampling times.’
- ‘Canola seedlings were grown in chambers at 23°C, 50% humidity, under 16/8 h day/night photoperiods.’
- ‘For enzymatic activities and sugar determinations, samples were collected at the middle of the photoperiod.’
- ‘The greenhouse was heated all winter and supplemental lighting extended the photoperiod to prevent dormancy.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.