One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The branch of technology concerned with the properties and transmission of photons, for example in fibre optics.
- ‘It aims to develop technologies across a wide range of disciplines including superconductivity, nanotechnology, data storage, photonics and power electronics.’
- ‘The research is a prime example of work at the forefront of two strategic initiatives of the School of Engineering: information technology and photonics, and nanoscience and nanotechnology.’
- ‘There may be a move away from electronics to photonics, a merging of the two, as well as links to carbon-based systems.’
- ‘Everyone knows there are a multitude of organizations connected with optics, photonics, and lasers that serve the European community.’
- ‘Spie recognizes optics and photonics as an important technological branch of modern physics.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.