Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Development of form and structure in plants which is affected by light, other than that occurring for photosynthesis.
- ‘Cryptochromes are pigmented photoreceptors that are involved in blue-light mediated photomorphogenesis and photoperiodism in plants.’
- ‘This gene was originally identified as being involved in photomorphogenesis; the mutants show many features of normal light-driven development when grown in the dark.’
- ‘Light is one of the most important environmental factors exerting great influences on the growth and development of plants via photosynthesis and photomorphogenesis.’
- ‘An emerging seedling may enter one of two alternative pathways of development: skotomorphogenesis or photomorphogenesis.’
- ‘One of the most dramatic effects of light on plant development is observed in the de-etiolation process of photomorphogenesis, when plants pass from heterotrophic to autotrophic life.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.