Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting processes in which photography is involved in the making of a printing plate.
- ‘Originally he worked in black-and-white, but he adapted well to the photomechanical colour processes that came in at the end of the 19th century and was one of the pioneers of the full-colour picture book for children.’
- ‘A knowledgeable bibliophile, he also assembled a collection of books utilizing various photomechanical processes that he eventually sold to the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.’
- ‘Photomechanical reproductions are photographs that are printed in ink from plates produced by a bewildering variety of photomechanical, photochemical and photogalvanic means.’
- ‘Beginning in the late 1890s, the new photomechanical process of halftone printing contributed to an astounding growth of illustrated mass-market newspapers and magazines.’
- ‘It wasn't a matter of being similar; someone had simply, through a photomechanical process, reproduced the exact work on the tee shirt.’
- ‘Surveying his New York City apartment, the author turns the acquisition of a piece of furniture into an occasion for some personal speculation on collecting, class, taste, photomechanical reproduction and the nature of democracy.’
- ‘And when working on silkscreens, Close insisted on creating the stenciled image by hand rather than by the photomechanical process commonly used.’
- ‘He has also made a study of human vision and how it relates to reproducible color in photography and photomechanical reproduction.’
- ‘A photomechanical or digital process is used to re-create the image, which is run on a high-speed, automated press.’
- ‘One was the capacity for inexpensive photomechanical reproduction.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.