Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The decomposition or separation of molecules by the action of light.
- ‘This reaction should take place in darkroom conditions to protect the aryl azide from photolysis.’
- ‘To the best of our knowledge, no spectral and compositional data have ever been directly and simultaneously obtained for anthracene photolysis in solid particulate matter.’
- ‘These compounds are generated by photolysis of atoms and simpler chemical compounds.’
- ‘The photolysis of diatomic ligands from heme iron has been used to study ligand rebinding kinetics and protein relaxation processes in a number of heme proteins.’
- ‘Phosphorylation spectra are not disturbed by photolysis signals because photolysis is complete before recording of the first spectrum used in the subtraction.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.