Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Ionization produced in a medium by the action of electromagnetic radiation.
- ‘Firstly, there is no charge separation or corresponding Coulomb attraction barrier, because the electron is ejected and hydrated in the bulk directly by photoionization.’
- ‘T-rays have low photon energies and will not cause harmful photoionization in biological tissues.’
- ‘Moreover, this spectrum is strikingly similar to the terminal spectrum measured after photoionization of the isolated PYP chromophore in solution.’
- ‘This oxidizing process leads to the formation of a guanine radical cation, similar to that formed by DNA photoionization which may be considered as the main intermediate in DNA oxidation.’
- ‘The following interesting features should shed some light on the mechanism of photoionization in duplex DNA.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.