[mass noun] Ionization produced in a medium by the action of electromagnetic radiation.
- ‘The following interesting features should shed some light on the mechanism of photoionization in duplex DNA.’
- ‘Firstly, there is no charge separation or corresponding Coulomb attraction barrier, because the electron is ejected and hydrated in the bulk directly by photoionization.’
- ‘This oxidizing process leads to the formation of a guanine radical cation, similar to that formed by DNA photoionization which may be considered as the main intermediate in DNA oxidation.’
- ‘Moreover, this spectrum is strikingly similar to the terminal spectrum measured after photoionization of the isolated PYP chromophore in solution.’
- ‘T-rays have low photon energies and will not cause harmful photoionization in biological tissues.’