Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The commercial developing and printing of film.
- ‘Many photo-finishing services print on photo paper or watercolor paper and can produce the increasingly popular canvas transfers.’
- ‘Kodak grew into an icon on the strength of its traditional film, paper and photofinishing businesses.’
- ‘It is now betting its future in digital terrain - from cameras, inkjet paper and online photofinishing to photo kiosks and minilabs, X-ray systems and commercial printers.’
- ‘Instead of using film, we will be transferring our images for photofinishing via the computer networks.’
- ‘There would be Kodak (of course), their big photofinishing partners, and maybe some competitors.’
- ‘Some kiosk printers use traditional silverbased photographic paper just like you would expect from a one-hour minilab or professional photo finishing retailer.’
- ‘The online photofinishing wars were supposed to be simple.’
- ‘Some analysts also argue that the old printing behavior will return, and the photo finishing businesses simply need to adapt to the technology.’
- ‘For years, optical photography and photofinishing have been plagued with countless image anomalies caused by static discharge, dust, chemical activity, "light fogging" and many other problems.’
- ‘PhotoSave, a photo-finishing company in Columbus, Ohio, takes orders by U.S. mail and via the Internet.’
- ‘However, when a local service isn't available, or isn't convenient, you can use one of the many on-line photo finishing services such as Shutterfly or Snapfish.’
- ‘Digital photography, as well as digital photofinishing, have resolved many of these problems, but in the process, have caused many others.’
- ‘I have been employed for nearly two decades in the photo finishing industry as a senior technician, working on numerous types of optical photofinishing equipment, and now, digital photofinishing equipment.’
- ‘Traditional photo processors are expected to offer digital photofinishing services in their retail centers.’
- ‘Many photo-finishing services charge framers and other retailers wholesale prices for their work while allowing the framer to charge whatever they want for the finished piece.’
- ‘If a frame shop has a computer, Internet connection and scanner then no other equipment is needed to work with a photo-finishing service.’
- ‘In Detroit, his father, Charles, took over a photo-finishing company that became large and profitable.’
- ‘The staff at that time consisted of Mr Strasser, his wife, a typist and a packer, besides the staff in the professional photography, retail dealer and wholesale photo finishing departments.’
- ‘He works at a photo-finishing lab where he spends his days touching up other people's photos while his manager reads magazines and listens to blaring death-metal.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.