Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An account of something told predominantly through photographs, with some accompanying text.‘the magazine featured a photoessay in which models were made to resemble the great stars of earlier decades’
- ‘I have a photoessay on my trip to see the Millau viaduct over at Samizdata.’
- ‘They actually have a photoessay titled Anatomy of Quagmire.’
- ‘Dykinga, left, also photographs places for beauty's sake alone, as was the case with his photoessay on big-tooth maples and other flora in southeastern Arizona.’
- ‘I'll most likely throw a bunch of them into a photoessay this week - it's been a while since I've done that.’
- ‘VanderLans' dreamlike photoessays and designs are amongst the finest contemporary investigations into the relationships between music and place, and Joshua Tree is simply stunning.’
- ‘The entry below has been turned into a photoessay.’
- ‘Through his photoessay titled ‘1 + 1 = 8’ he plays with various cultural mythologies: a serene Frida leans against a solemn Christ, John and Yoko mimic Adam and Eve and the outlaw Ned Kelly poses as Picasso.’
- ‘As a Boing Boing reader comments on this photoessay of Disney's California Adventure Theme Park: ‘lookit how deserted this place seems to be not too long after the opening of the major ride.’’
- ‘Buffalo are the subject of their photoessay in this issue.’
- ‘Among his projects have been photoessays on Indian tigers and central African gorillas, commissioned by the World Wide Fund for Nature.’
- ‘And photoessays such as this one could have been included in Camp.’
- ‘Commute is an atmospheric photoessay depicting the journey into New York City.’
- ‘By 1992, he had taken the decision to work exclusively in black-and-white on photoessays of his choice.’
- ‘Reader Joe Max was generous, patient and artful enough to take my photoessay of ‘Us and Them’ and set it to music with a few embellishments of his own.’
- ‘Ok, forget the cryptic photoessay from DJ's party.’
- ‘Bass is the co-author (with Karen Pugh) of a photoessay book celebrating the African American family and community traditions that will be published next year by Running Press.’
- ‘Judge Martin Parr is well known for his distinctive documentary style of photography, which is particularly recognisable in his book Think of England (an affectionately satirical photoessay on modern England).’
- ‘But when I climbed Mount Rainier in pursuit of a photoessay about a middle-aged man's attempt to fulfill his dream, a new way of seeing opened up to me.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.