Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Characterized by or involving the emission of electrons from a surface by the action of light.‘photoelectric detection systems’
- ‘It soon became clear in the next few years that the particles emitted in the photoelectric effect were indeed electrons.’
- ‘A solar cell uses the photoelectric effect to create an energy imbalance within the cell which can be used to drive some load.’
- ‘Too much of the potential triggering energy of the degraded gammas is dissipated in Compton and photoelectric interactions.’
- ‘Materials of high atomic energy may exhibit photoelectric absorption, the energy of gamma rays is then transferred to an electron, which is then ejected from the atomic shield.’
- ‘A structure or space in the shadow of an efficient photoelectric generator surface already possesses this characteristic.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.