Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or caused by the chemical action of light.‘a photochemical reaction’
- ‘In addition, the carrier molecule may also protect some dyes from chemical, photochemical or radiolytic degradation.’
- ‘Photoproduct levels may reflect the net photochemical effects of light and oxygen within tissue on native photosensitizers.’
- ‘One influential school of thought focuses on the effects of oxidation reactions brought about by active oxygen species generated by photochemical reactions involving blue and UV light.’
- ‘This is a problem for museums because photochemical oxidation is not required; the reactions take place in the dark.’
- ‘The small rings are made to move around the big ring by bathing them in light of different wavelengths; the light energy fuels the photochemical reaction to break the hydrogen bonds.’
- 1.1Relating to photochemistry.
- ‘The program emphasized photochemical approaches, although thermochemical processes were also evaluated.’
- ‘Ever since mechanical and photochemical advances in the 19th century gave rise to the invention of motion picture recording and display, the evolution of the ‘art’ of film has been a consequence of the rate of technological change.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.