Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for photoelectric cell
- ‘The light passing through each filter is detected by the photocell, where it is converted to an electrical pulse.’
- ‘In the presence of a magnetic field, the amount of laser light that is absorbed by the atoms changes and this is detected by a photocell.’
- ‘We used a battery of twenty photocells and lasers, enough to register an object as small a fly passing by.’
- ‘Single flies were loaded into glass tubes and each glass tube was clamped between the diodes of the photocells.’
- ‘The receiver uses a photocell or photodiode to detect the light.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.