One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A close finish of a race in which the winner is identifiable only from a photograph taken as the competitors cross the line.
- ‘We had a four-way photo finish in the third race, which is very unusual.’
- ‘Stephen Byrne was the only rider who got close to Dolan over the line and indeed a photo finish was needed to separate the two.’
- ‘One race demanded a photo finish, though the dismounting event's organizer Myles just said, ‘He got it,’ when asked what happened.’
- ‘Following the photo finish, there was an anxious wait before the scoreboard flashed up confirmation of Britain's dramatic win.’
- ‘In the end, the photo finish revealed a dead-heat between big Thomas and his teammate Estil.’
- ‘In my last stint, we got six seconds ahead, but then we slowed for a photo finish with the sister car.’
- ‘But the pack closed in and in a photo finish Smirk, priced at 12-1, beat fast-finishing Atlantic Ace by a head.’
- ‘Day four of racing had opened with a photo finish and as only four spots were available to move onto the final, results were critical.’
- ‘They won the games in a photo finish, pulling ahead of the previous year's winners with a gutsy last-ditch surge.’
- ‘Why they'll finish second: They just don't have enough strength in the trenches to overtake the Eagles, although no one would be surprised if the two-horse race ended in a photo finish.’
- ‘A sprint to the line ended in a photo finish between Great Britain, Germany and Cuba.’
- ‘It was the tightest photo finish I have ever seen.’
- ‘One of the highlights of the weekend for Flynn came in the 3,000m race, where a spectacular photo finish between Maria McCambridge and Karen Reid thrilled the sizeable crowd.’
- ‘It was really good fun and to come down to a photo finish is amazing.’
- ‘I knew I had made a mistake but was hoping against hope as I waited for the official photo finish.’
- ‘However, after close scrutiny of the photo finish, the race was awarded to the American.’
- ‘His best season was 1959, when he beat Johnny Beauchamp at Daytona in a photo finish; the winner wasn't decided for three days.’
- ‘Diatribe, winner of the Caulfield Cup last week, was second in a photo finish with Referral, a nose back in third.’
- ‘USA attacked back and in a photo finish Austria crossed the line a mere eleven hundredth of a second ahead of the Americans.’
- ‘A photo finish at the line gave Russia the upper hand followed by Poland and Germany's number three crew.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.