Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Oxidation caused by the action of light.
- ‘One of the commonest processes for this is the reaction of oxygen, or oxygen containing species, with the dye energised by light, or photo-oxidation.’
- ‘Under the microscope, prolonged exposure to light led to photo-oxidation of the few vesicles in the field of view.’
- ‘This irradiance allowed growth without photoinhibition or photo-oxidation and this is important for effective comparisons of antioxidant activities.’
- ‘There are several possible mechanisms of photochemical bleaching, of which the commonest is probably photo-oxidation.’
- ‘Near the transition temperature, photo-oxidation likely introduces additional errors.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.