Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Introduce a phosphate group into (a molecule or compound)‘glucose is normally phosphorylated as soon as it enters the cell’
- ‘In general, protein kinases are enzymes that phosphorylate proteins, which then become activated.’
- ‘First, it phosphorylates glycogen synthase, an enzyme that binds glucoses into the storage molecule, glycogen.’
- ‘This flavoprotein is a serine-threonine protein kinase able to phosphorylate its serine and threonine residues.’
- ‘These kinases have various substrates and have been shown to phosphorylate such diverse proteins as transcription factors, metabolic enzymes, ion pumps and cytoskeletal components.’
- ‘Following sucrose cleavage by invertase, the liberated glucose and fructose are phosphorylated before undergoing further metabolism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.