One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1as modifier Denoting the trivalent group ≡PO.
- ‘In PKA, the triad has been implicated in binding the metal ion that coordinates the ß- and phosphoryl oxygens of the ATP used as a phosphate donor.’
- ‘The association of the peptide amide hydrogens with the lipid phosphoryl oxygens was also investigated in order to find out if there was any possibility of long-term hydrogen bonding between these atoms.’
- ‘This ordering can be explained by the orientational behavior of water molecules around phosphoryl groups.’
- ‘Signal transduction by these systems usually involves autophosphorylation of a histidine kinase on a conserved histidine residue and subsequent transfer of the phosphoryl group to a conserved aspartate on a receiver domain.’
- ‘The change in activity of the output domain is brought about through the reversible transfer of phosphoryl groups to the invariant aspartate residues at the receiver domain.’
- 1.1Biochemistry Denoting the monovalent phosphate group —PO(OH)₂.
- ‘In addition, monovalent cations may, along with Mg2+ ions and surrounding residues of the protein, help orient the 1-phosphoryl group so as to achieve the optimal position required for catalysis.’
- ‘It explains the method of claim 2 in which the monovalent group comprises a phosphoryl group.’
Late 19th century: from phosphorus + -yl.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.