1Relating to or containing phosphorus.‘the process enabled the local phosphoric ore to be used for steel-making’
- ‘3,500 million years ago in some warm little pond, with ammonia, phosphoric salts, light, heat etc. present, a protein compound was chemically formed to undergo.’
- ‘This increased pollution in the water body by raising the phosphoric content in the lake, thereby encouraging weed growth.’
- ‘A soldier stepped on his head, he said, and someone broke a phosphoric light and spilled the chemicals on him.’
- ‘Observers, however, revealed some irregularities, including the use of wooden and thus non-transparent ballot boxes and a weakened solution of phosphoric ink.’
- ‘It included: ‘Breaking chemical lights and pouring the phosphoric liquid on detainees.’’
- 1.1Chemistry Of phosphorus with a valency of five.Compare with phosphorous
- ‘Just as sulfur forms sulfurous and sulfuric compounds, phosphorus forms phosphorous and phosphoric compounds.’
- ‘For instance, the phosphoric compounds or polyvalent metal salts may be added to a water system continuously or intermittently to maintain their necessary concentrations.’
Late 18th century: from French phosphorique, from phosphore ‘phosphorus’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.