One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Emit light or radiation by phosphorescence.‘we saw glow-worms phosphorescing at us from the dark of the bracken’
shine, glimmer, glint, catch the light, glitter, shimmer, glow, sparkle, twinkle, flicker, blink, wink, glisten, flash, flare, beam, fluoresceView synonyms
- ‘Moreover, CQ possesses the rare property of phosphorescing in deaerated solutions at room temperature.’
- ‘Some fluorescent materials, under the appropriate conditions, will also phosphoresce.’
- ‘The crystals fluoresce and phosphoresce a weak pale yellowish-green in ultraviolet radiation.’
- ‘Researchers report that palladium atoms present at parts-per-million quantities in a polymer LED cause the material to phosphoresce.’
- ‘Under the glare, the water around the boat seemed to phosphoresce in trails and puffs of liquid blue.’
- ‘The water here phosphoresces when disturbed, so it was amazing to watch a few of these lovely animals glowing in the murk.’
- ‘Not only that, but the fracture zones were partially coated with a carbonate mineral that fluoresced a pastel bluish-white and phosphoresced a pale greenish-white.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.