Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A salt or ester of phosphonic acid.
- ‘Scale can be controlled chemically using substances such as polyphosphates, phosphonates and various polymers.’
- ‘Dr Kee believes the earliest forms of DNA / RNA could have been built from other phosphorus-containing molecules called phosphonates, because they are water-soluble and more reactive.’
- ‘Cidofovir is a nucleoside phosphonate analogue that inhibits herpes virus DNA polymerases.’
- ‘P esters and phosphonates are present in unchanging proportions throughout the ocean.’
- ‘‘Alude is a new entry into the phosphonate side of the market,’ said Cleary's Rick Fletcher.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.