Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chemical bond of the kind joining successive sugar molecules in a polynucleotide.
- ‘Ribozymes are molecules of ribonucleic acid that catalyze reactions on the phosphodiester bond of other RNAs.’
- ‘The alteration in size on cleavage of the phosphodiester bond at the 8-oxoguanine is detected by conventional gel electrophoresis and visualization of the P-labelled fragments.’
- ‘DNA ligase and RNA ligase from the bacteriophage T4 catalyze the formation of the phosphodiester bond between two molecules of nucleic acid.’
- ‘Certain glycosylases also have abasic lyase activity, cleaving the phosphodiester bond adjacent to the abasic deoxyribose residue.’
- ‘Topological problems related to DNA metabolism are solved by a class of enzymes, named DNA topoisomerases, able transiently to break and reseal phosphodiester bonds via the formation of a covalent DNA-protein intermediate.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.