One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A binary compound of phosphorus with another element or group.
- ‘Using all-terrain vehicles, a crew of state employees and contractors will roar through thousands of acres of federal land over the next few weeks, spreading oats saturated with zinc phosphide over prairie dog burrows.’
- ‘Many scientists adhered for a long time to the ‘solution precipitation’ hypothesis, according to which the loss in impact toughness was caused by precipitation of some phases, such as phosphides, at grain boundaries.’
- ‘Some 50 packages of the highly toxic fumigant magnesium phosphide washed up in April after a spill near the Poor Knights Islands.’
- ‘Phosphorus reacts with sodium and probably with strontium and calcium to form phosphides that nullify the intended modification additions.’
- ‘The author has included aluminium phosphide and pyrethroid poisonings in the appendix of the text in this edition.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.