Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An enzyme that catalyses the hydrolysis of organic phosphates in a specified (acid or alkaline) environment.
- ‘The granules contain several enzymes: alkaline phosphatase, collagenase, and lysozyme.’
- ‘Patients presenting with obstructive jaundice show increases in serum bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase, and glutamyl transferase.’
- ‘Laboratory findings included elevated levels of alkaline phosphatase and lactate dehydrogenase.’
- ‘Immunohistochemical detection by, for example, alkaline phosphatase or peroxidase has been utilized in some papers.’
- ‘A phosphatase inhibitor, sodium vanadate, reduced the effect of alkaline phosphatase and the p48 band remained undetectable.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.