Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enzyme that catalyses the hydrolysis of organic phosphates in a specified (acid or alkaline) environment.
- ‘The granules contain several enzymes: alkaline phosphatase, collagenase, and lysozyme.’
- ‘Patients presenting with obstructive jaundice show increases in serum bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase, and glutamyl transferase.’
- ‘Immunohistochemical detection by, for example, alkaline phosphatase or peroxidase has been utilized in some papers.’
- ‘Laboratory findings included elevated levels of alkaline phosphatase and lactate dehydrogenase.’
- ‘A phosphatase inhibitor, sodium vanadate, reduced the effect of alkaline phosphatase and the p48 band remained undetectable.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.