Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The system of contrastive relationships among the speech sounds that constitute the fundamental components of a language.
- ‘While this research demonstrates that phonological previews aid in the processing of the target word, evidence from individual difference studies suggests that phonology is not used in the same manner by all readers.’
- ‘While these languages shared phonology and grammar, they had entirely different vocabularies.’
- ‘His remarks on French, focus on syntax and semantics, all but omitting phonology, phonetics and orthography.’
- ‘Differences in phonology can usually be associated with the geographic location of the speaker.’
- ‘Pidgins and Creoles do not have a single phonology and phonology remains the least stable system in otherwise stabilized pidgins.’
- 1.1 The study of phonological relationships within a language or between different languages.
- ‘Dan is now a distinguished specialist on Amazonian languages and professor of phonetics and phonology at the fine Department of Linguistics at the University of Manchester in England.’
- ‘To analyse language and to define language disorders most linguists divide language into four domains: phonology, grammar, semantics, and pragmatics.’
- ‘Panini was a Sanskrit grammarian who gave a comprehensive and scientific theory of phonetics, phonology, and morphology.’
- ‘Semantics is not even in second place; what comes next in respect to time devoted to it in linguistic curricula is phonology (the study of speech sounds).’
- ‘Roman Jakobson's good friend, that arch-structuralist aristocrat Nikolai Sergeevich Trubetzkoy, famously said that phonetics is to phonology as numismatics is to economics.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.