One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘I don't know any working phonologists today who think that morphologically-conditioned (or otherwise ‘irregular’) sound patterns are ipso facto distinct in every way from perfectly transparent ones.’
- ‘He was not just a great linguist - phonologist, grammarian, semanticist, and polyglot - but a musician, musicologist, Orientalist, and gourmet (he wrote a book called The Eater's Guide to Chinese Characters); and a wonderful humorist.’
- ‘Within the mere week or so since I started slowly spreading the word, a few interesting contributions have already been posted (from phonologists other than me).’
- ‘I'm also oversimplifying, but that's okay, because I'm not a phonologist or a phonetician.’
- ‘Though more study is needed… I'm a big fan of the scientific method, but this reminds me of a spoof term paper I once wrote, many years ago, after having read one too many phonetics articles debunking the perceptions of phonologists.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.