One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person engaged or skilled in phonetics; a phonetician.
- ‘It may be mentioned also that the phonetist recognizes phenomena closely parallel to these in the structure of the syllable.’
- ‘It is well to use moderation, and to remember that to be a first-class phonetist requires an exceedingly fine ear, which cannot be expected of most students.’
- 1.1 An advocate of phonetic spelling.
- ‘The veteran phonetist, Alexander Melville Bell, has accepted the presidency of the newly formed section.’
- ‘Another issue contained a reprint from the New York Times, written by the American phonetist, Alexander Melville Bell.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.