One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person engaged or skilled in phonetics; a phonetician.
- ‘It may be mentioned also that the phonetist recognizes phenomena closely parallel to these in the structure of the syllable.’
- ‘It is well to use moderation, and to remember that to be a first-class phonetist requires an exceedingly fine ear, which cannot be expected of most students.’
- 1.1 An advocate of phonetic spelling.
- ‘Another issue contained a reprint from the New York Times, written by the American phonetist, Alexander Melville Bell.’
- ‘The veteran phonetist, Alexander Melville Bell, has accepted the presidency of the newly formed section.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.