Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person engaged or skilled in phonetics; a phonetician.
- ‘It is well to use moderation, and to remember that to be a first-class phonetist requires an exceedingly fine ear, which cannot be expected of most students.’
- ‘It may be mentioned also that the phonetist recognizes phenomena closely parallel to these in the structure of the syllable.’
- 1.1An advocate of phonetic spelling.
- ‘Another issue contained a reprint from the New York Times, written by the American phonetist, Alexander Melville Bell.’
- ‘The veteran phonetist, Alexander Melville Bell, has accepted the presidency of the newly formed section.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.