One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The study and classification of speech sounds.as modifier ‘a phonetics laboratory’
- ‘Patterns that can be measured on laboratory instruments are generally regarded as part of phonetics, whereas phonological patterns tend to be more abstract and idealized.’
- ‘Dan is now a distinguished specialist on Amazonian languages and professor of phonetics and phonology at the fine Department of Linguistics at the University of Manchester in England.’
- ‘Transcribed excerpts of the lyrics will be analyzed with respect to phonetics, phonology, morpho-syntax, prosody, and lexis.’
- ‘Those of us here on Language Log who cite exotic languages or talk about phonetics frequently use the International Phonetic Alphabet.’
- ‘Panini was a Sanskrit grammarian who gave a comprehensive and scientific theory of phonetics, phonology, and morphology.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.