Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The production or utterance of speech sounds.‘patients may exhibit difficulty with phonation’
- ‘There are various ways to improve articulation, respiration and phonation.’
- ‘The patient's cough was persistent, effective, and nonproductive and his phonation was normal.’
- ‘The tongue is essential for speech / phonation, tasting, chewing, swallowing, suckling, and licking, but to do all of this it evolved to lie partially in the pharynx, where in humans it is at best a nuisance for breathing.’
- ‘Mastication, swallowing, phonation, hearing, vision, and facial expression will be animated and seen in three dimensions.’
- ‘The primary function of this system is the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide; secondary functions are phonation and olfaction.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek phōnē ‘sound, voice’ + -ation.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.