One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The production or utterance of speech sounds.‘patients may exhibit difficulty with phonation’
- ‘The tongue is essential for speech / phonation, tasting, chewing, swallowing, suckling, and licking, but to do all of this it evolved to lie partially in the pharynx, where in humans it is at best a nuisance for breathing.’
- ‘There are various ways to improve articulation, respiration and phonation.’
- ‘Mastication, swallowing, phonation, hearing, vision, and facial expression will be animated and seen in three dimensions.’
- ‘The primary function of this system is the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide; secondary functions are phonation and olfaction.’
- ‘The patient's cough was persistent, effective, and nonproductive and his phonation was normal.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek phōnē ‘sound, voice’ + -ation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.