Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small order of mammals that comprises the pangolins.
- ‘Attempts to resolve the relationships of Xenarthra and Pholidota to other eutherian mammals have not yet been exhausted.’
- ‘An interesting input provided by our data resides in the reliable support obtained for the sister-group relationship of Pholidota and Carnivora.’
- ‘Let's turn to what is known about the anatomy of the feeding apparatus in Xenarthra and Pholidota.’
- ‘Unfortunately, information on the condition of feeding apparatus muscles in ant-eating taxa outside the Xenarthra and Pholidota is incomplete.’
- ‘Some features of mammals that eat mostly ants and termites are used as examples of convergence; the most speciose assemblages of these mammals are in the orders Xenarthra and Pholidota.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek pholidōtos scaly, from pholis, pholid- scale.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.