Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of philosophy that deals with the clarification of existing concepts and knowledge.
- ‘Scientists cannot avoid making judgements about what is real and what is not, and philosophical analysis seeks to expose and clarify this process.’
- ‘One does know a priori, by philosophical analysis, that if such an identity statement is true it is necessarily true.’
- ‘In sum, Thrasymachus' agenda is to assert two debunking theses, one about the effects of justice and one about the use of the term ‘justice’: his concern is less with philosophical analysis than sociology.’
- ‘There is as yet no systematic historical or philosophical analysis of the question whether modern conservation biology should be viewed as an enterprise distinct from these earlier disciplines rather than as a development from them.’
- ‘They are not problems for philosophical analysis of the ontology of institutional facts; they are real-life problems to be settled by judges and lawyers, and in the end perhaps by armies and political movements.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.