One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the political theory of Plato) a member of a ruling elite who seeks to apply philosophy in the exercise of power.
- ‘‘Justice’ has been a monumental puzzle since Plato's Republic, which labors through ten long books to define it - and then it turns out that only philosopher kings could administer a just state.’
- ‘Henry was a great philosopher king, a student of Greek, Jewish and Arab learning.’
- ‘As our first systematic fascist, Plato wished education to produce philosopher kings.’
- ‘Abraham, the first hero of biblical myth, is the image of Plato's philosopher king - a powerful force in affairs of state whose major passion is for truth.’
- ‘Scientific method was purported to be pure; its aim was to find abstract, universal truths ‘out there’ that could be brought back to enlighten the masses, like the philosopher king who returns to Plato's cave.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.