Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person engaged or learned in philosophy, especially as an academic discipline.
thinker, theorist, theorizer, theoretician, philosophizer, metaphysicist, metaphysician, epistemologist, dialectician, logicianspeculator, hypothesizer, seeker after truth, dreamerscholar, intellect, intellectual, learned person, sage, wise man, solomon, guru, punditView synonyms
- ‘As is the hallowed custom with philosophers, the thinking of all of them is by nature unhistorical.’
- ‘So philosophers take the risk of nihilism and existential dread because the allure of wonder is too great.’
- ‘Do any of you know of any philosophers that seem to be more or less Buddhist in outlook?’
- ‘Zeno was a pupil and friend of the philosopher Parmenides and studied with him in Elea.’
- ‘The primary source is what scientists and philosophers have said about scientific method.’
- ‘Some of them tried to replace religion by a secular morality that owed much to the German philosopher Kant.’
- ‘Descartes, of course, was not the first philosopher to view the body with disdain.’
- ‘The philosopher Hannah Arendt concluded that evil lay in the refusal to think.’
- ‘German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer was one of history's great pessimists.’
- ‘I need to brace myself before I throw myself at the modern continental philosophers.’
- ‘It seems to me that philosophers are often criticized for always demanding rational explanations.’
- ‘So far as we know, Socrates was the first philosopher to make prominent the question of how to live well.’
- ‘Some philosophers say they do not know what the thesis of determinism is.’
- ‘The noun Dasein is used by other philosophers, by Kant for example, for the existence of any entity.’
- ‘Spinoza the philosopher emerged in his true colours through the work of Schelling and Hegel.’
- ‘Future generations may or may not judge Wittgenstein to be one of the great philosophers.’
- ‘Some philosophers will find implausible the claim that contextualism is the cure for relativism.’
- ‘Plato has a claim to be the first philosopher to establish philosophy as a subject.’
- ‘Conferences of philosophers on determinism and freedom aren't the same as they used to be.’
- ‘Some philosophers contend that death is a harm inasmuch as it thwarts a central desire: to stay alive.’
Middle English: from a variant of Old French philosophe, via Latin from Greek philosophos lover of wisdom, from philein to love + sophos wise.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.