One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The philologists claimed that Arabic, Hebrew, Aramaic, Amharic, etc., were ‘Semitic’ languages, even though philologists could never find a parent Semitic language from which they all derived."’
- ‘The play on words, imagery and alliterations that fall in place so spontaneously are a treat for the philologist.’
- ‘A philologist at Oxford University, he was an expert in the study of the roots of the English language and its early literature.’
- ‘Singh avoids the uncomfortable example of the Mayan script to which various cryptographic techniques were applied to no avail, until the linguistic insight of the Russian philologist Knorosov provided success in decipherment.’
- ‘The Swiss philologist had shown that all meaning was not inherent in terms (still less their objects), but in the relations between terms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.