One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tropical American climbing plant which is widely grown as a greenhouse or indoor plant.
Genus Philodendron, family Araceae
- ‘Aloe vera, chrysanthemums, golden pothos, philodendrons, and spider plants are believed to be effective air filters.’
- ‘I didn't know until I looked it up that philodendrons belong to the same family as the Arum lily and the beautiful Flamingo lily, which shouldn't come as a surprise as they do have something similar about them.’
- ‘There are many more plants that will thrive in medium light, among them Irish moss, Tahitian bridal veil, heart-leaved philodendron, pitcher plant, and butterwort.’
- ‘If you've got sun for half a day your options are widened to those plants with broad glossy green leaves such as philodendrons, monsteras and umbrella trees.’
- ‘The front garden is planted with tropical plants, like bamboo and philodendron, but Adi said the owners also planned to grow other plants like mango and banana trees.’
Late 19th century: from philo- ‘loving’ + Greek dendron ‘tree’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.