Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The study of cyclic and seasonal natural phenomena, especially in relation to climate and plant and animal life.
- ‘Flowering phenology is mainly under genetic control, implying that a detailed study of flowering phenology must consider plants at the individual level.’
- ‘As a result of this delayed phenology, the natural climatic conditions the plants experienced may have selected for early flowering regardless of competition treatment.’
- ‘The ecology of Typha is well-known, with several studies on phenology, production rate, competitive superiority and gas transportation into the below-ground biomass.’
- ‘Many oak traits may act as selective mechanisms, including tree age, seasonal phenology, and chemical and structural defenses.’
- ‘Other investigations suggest a fundamental role for plant phenology in the population dynamics of oak herbivores.’
Late 19th century: from phenomenon + -logy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.