One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound used as a monoamine oxidase inhibitor.
- ‘The first antidepressant shown to be useful for SAD was the irreversible monoamine oxidase inhibitor phenelzine (Nardil).’
- ‘When patients take monoamine oxidase inhibitors (eg, phenelzine or tranylcypromine sulfate), less of the dopamine is metabolized; thus the action of dopamine is prolonged and intensified.’
- ‘A third trial compared the monoamine oxidase inhibitor phenelzine versus placebo in 24 people with chronic fatigue syndrome, using a modified Karnofsky scale and other outcome measures.’
- ‘The most commonly prescribed MAOI is phenelzine, which is helpful for people with panic disorder.’
- ‘These hepatic injuries are usually caused by the hydrazine MAOIs, i.e., phenelzine and isocarboxazid.’
1950s: from pheno- + e(thy)l + (hydra)zine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.