Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Excellent.‘a London crew with a really phat funk sound’
excellent, wonderful, marvellous, magnificent, superb, splendid, glorious, sublime, lovely, delightful, first-class, first-rate, outstandingView synonyms
- ‘I marched over to the dance section, grabbed the CD and bought it - on the strength of one phat track.’
- ‘The bass is consistently phat, driving underneath the vocal and keyboard tracks and matching up perfectly.’
- ‘I was reminiscing about the past and I was chatting about a pretty, phat girl.’
- ‘It is the essence of stunning creativity, whether embodied in a Picasso sculpture, a Mozart opera, or a phat video game.’
- ‘A couple of the other girls on the shoot with her were more phat, but Keisha just has something over them, you know?’
1970s (originally used to describe a woman, in the sense ‘sexy, attractive’): of uncertain origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.