One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The speed of propagation of a sine wave or a sinusoidal component of a complex wave, equal to the product of its wavelength and frequency.
- ‘Even when the phase velocity is faster than light, the group velocity should be slower.’
- ‘For example, the phase velocity of a wave packet is a pseudo process but the group velocity is a causal process; yet both licence reliable predictions.’
- ‘Perhaps the reported observation, if confirmed, may reveal a hitherto unknown property of light: the apparently excessive speed might be something like phase velocity.’
- ‘Notice the light wave is still only propagating at c, the phase velocity of the wave, however, may travel less, or even greater than at the speed of light.’
- ‘The speed of each frequency component is called phase velocity, while the packet's speed is called group velocity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.