One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A change in the phase of a waveform.
- ‘Ossicular chain fixation causes a phase shift in the sound wave.’
- ‘This is a quantum phenomenon in which the wavefunction of an electron acquires a phase shift as it follows a trajectory that encloses a magnetic flux (such as the path round the surface of a cylinder in a magnetic field).’
- ‘If the mirror is continuously moving (implying a velocity), then the phase shift measured by the interferometer will also be changing continuously.’
- ‘Typically, designers introduce the phase shift via mechanically based piezoelectric mirrors, but the approach introduces hysteresis and driving force is limited.’
- ‘To calculate the effect of a lack of uniformity on a wavefront, we must both consider the movement of the reflecting surface from its ideal position and note any change in its phase shift on reflection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.