Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The technique in microscopy of introducing a phase difference between parts of the light supplied by the condenser so as to enhance the outlines of the sample, or the boundaries between parts differing in optical density.‘phase contrast microscopy’
- ‘Photomicrographs taken under fluorescence and phase contrast were scanned, and image analysis was performed using the shareware package Scion Image.’
- ‘Images were obtained on a Zeiss Axiophot microscope equipped with fluorescence and phase contrast.’
- ‘Birefringence is a description of the anisotropic dependence of the phase velocity of light in a sample on the incident polarization state; therefore, it provides polarization-based phase contrast.’
- ‘Giant vesicles were observed either by phase contrast or by differential interference contrast with an inverted microscope (Axiovert 135, Carl Zeiss, Germany).’
- ‘In addition, by 3-5 days after the temperature shift, early germ cells in many testes had abnormal morphology and appeared refractile in phase contrast, characteristic of dying cells.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.