One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A phase difference expressed as an angle, 360 degrees (2π radians) corresponding to one complete cycle.
- ‘Experimental data in the frequency domain lifetime measurements are usually presented as increasing values of the frequency-dependent phase angle ([Phi]) and decreasing values of the modulation.’
- ‘The phase angle 8 defines the relative contributions of viscous and elastic resistances to particle motion and can be computed from the slope of Gd versus frequency.’
- ‘Quadrature Amplitude Modulation uses a combination of phase angles and amplitude to code digital information on an analog sine wave signal.’
- ‘Time-resolved anisotropy measurements are obtained from the frequency-dependent phase angle difference between the parallel and perpendicular components of the modulated fluorescence emission.’
- ‘Given that the field oscillates at 60Hz, this gives me a phase angle of 0.4PI radians between samples.’
- 1.1Astronomy The angle between the lines joining a given planet to the sun and to the earth.
- ‘The left image is from a phase angle of only 6 degrees, and Janus appears bright because nearly its entire visible surface is reflecting light.’
- ‘Ring structures containing these tiny particles brighten substantially at high phase angles: i.e., viewing angles where the Sun is almost directly behind the objects being imaged.’
- ‘In astronomy, many light curve measurements are done at near zero phase angles (in opposition) because the scattering surface area of the measured object is largest.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.