One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A phase difference expressed as an angle, 360 degrees (2π radians) corresponding to one complete cycle.
- ‘Quadrature Amplitude Modulation uses a combination of phase angles and amplitude to code digital information on an analog sine wave signal.’
- ‘Time-resolved anisotropy measurements are obtained from the frequency-dependent phase angle difference between the parallel and perpendicular components of the modulated fluorescence emission.’
- ‘Experimental data in the frequency domain lifetime measurements are usually presented as increasing values of the frequency-dependent phase angle ([Phi]) and decreasing values of the modulation.’
- ‘Given that the field oscillates at 60Hz, this gives me a phase angle of 0.4PI radians between samples.’
- ‘The phase angle 8 defines the relative contributions of viscous and elastic resistances to particle motion and can be computed from the slope of Gd versus frequency.’
- 1.1Astronomy The angle between the lines joining a given planet to the sun and to the earth.
- ‘Ring structures containing these tiny particles brighten substantially at high phase angles: i.e., viewing angles where the Sun is almost directly behind the objects being imaged.’
- ‘In astronomy, many light curve measurements are done at near zero phase angles (in opposition) because the scattering surface area of the measured object is largest.’
- ‘The left image is from a phase angle of only 6 degrees, and Janus appears bright because nearly its entire visible surface is reflecting light.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.