Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An official publication containing a list of medicinal drugs with their effects and directions for their use.
- ‘This two-volume opus presents the pharmacopoeias of Western Herbal traditions with the symptom pictures of Chinese Medicine.’
- ‘The solution is to develop an official pharmacopoeia similar to the German commission E monographs.’
- ‘A 1929 European pharmacopoeia listed 80 patent medicines whose ingredients were radioactive: they came in the form of bath salts, liniment, suppositories, and toothpaste.’
- ‘Rouyer published a pharmacopoeia that is of interest to the historian of pharmacology.’
- ‘The official pharmacopoeia of the London College of Physicians of 1676 gave directions for the extraction of animal reproductive organs as a treatment for numerous illnesses and as sexual stimulants.’
- 1.1 A stock of medicinal drugs.
- ‘But to dispense is to feel and to feel is an honor, which might just provide a precious second chance at realization and is this not better than any pharmacopoeia?’
- ‘However, the benefits of oral dosing and the lack of any theoretic or known long-term toxicity make them part of the current asthma pharmacopeia.’
- ‘While marijuana isn't included among the 2,000-odd plants and minerals that Kuo keeps in stock, he says that it is nonetheless part of the traditional Chinese pharmacopoeia.’
- ‘When arrested, Ryder was found to have not only store merchandise in her purse, but a virtual pharmacopeia.’
- ‘By modern standards, Civil War pharmacopoeia consisted almost entirely of deadly poisons.’
Early 17th century: modern Latin, from Greek pharmakopoiia ‘art of preparing drugs’, based on pharmakon ‘drug’ + -poios ‘making’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.