One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The branch of medicine concerned with the uses, effects, and modes of action of drugs.
- ‘Barnes has described the appropriate pharmacology of tiotropium for the treatment of COPD.’
- ‘Most ADRs were predictable from the known pharmacology of the drugs and many represented known interactions and are therefore likely to be preventable.’
- ‘Buprenorphine's unique effects and pharmacology make it an attractive and clinically helpful treatment option.’
- ‘During the meetings, the rationale behind monitoring level of sedation and the pharmacology of the drugs used were discussed.’
- ‘Perhaps the most serious post-1970 challenge to psychotherapy came from pharmacology.’
- ‘It is important that lessons are learnt from these cases and that they are used to improve our understanding of vector biology and pharmacology.’
- ‘There, at a time when new drugs were bursting on to the scene, he set up the country's first division of clinical pharmacology to bring good science to drug appraisal.’
- ‘The marmoset is also an important model for research into infectious disease and pharmacology.’
- ‘Thus, ginseng has potential to serve as a cognition-enhancing herbal medicine, based on its pharmacology and animal studies.’
- ‘The key point about nicotine gum pharmacology is that the absorption takes place buccally.’
- ‘Mice and humans share much anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, and pharmacology, but there are some major differences.’
- ‘The harm to benefit ratio varies according to the condition being treated, the drug's pharmacology, and the availability and safety of other therapeutic options.’
- ‘Surgery or pharmacology may make it possible to develop muscles to any level one desires without the discipline of workouts.’
- ‘Identification of this inducible isoform of Cox created a new focus of interest in prostaglandin biochemistry, pharmacology and therapeutics.’
- ‘The objectives of this study were to assess the molecular pharmacology of benzamide riboside as an anti-leukemic agent.’
- ‘We are not aware of any studies in the literature on the integration of psychotherapy and pharmacology for children with epilepsy.’
- ‘The main thrust of the book is to describe the toxicology and pharmacology of herbal products.’
- ‘The concept of ethnic group differences in pharmacokinetic responses is far from new in the clinical pharmacology literature.’
- ‘The epidemiology, clinical presentation, and pharmacology of fatal and non-fatal heroin overdoses have recently been reviewed.’
- ‘The pharmacology of phenytoin is complex but well understood.’
Early 18th century: from modern Latin pharmacologia, from Greek pharmakon ‘drug’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.